The Southern Rail Commission and regional partners are advancing plans for passenger rail service from Baton Rouge to New Orleans, with stations at select locations. St. John the Baptist Parish is currently developing a Conceptual Plan for a Passenger Rail and Multi-Modal Transit Center on Main Street south of Airline Highway near the existing KCS rail line in LaPlace. The goal of this project is to develop a plan for the station area that reflects the needs and desires of our community, including:
- Providing flexible space for a variety of uses,
- Providing efficient access to an attractive train station,
- Providing an emergency shelter facility as part of the station,
- Promoting economic development in the area surrounding the station and along existing commercial areas of Main Street, and
- Minimizing any potential impacts related to increased traffic or other service operations.
For more information, see also a summary of the planned service connecting Baton Rouge and New Orleans here and join us in developing a local plan that facilitates this advancement in regional mobility and builds on the unique character of our community.
Please continue to monitor this website for updates: the Parish will host both stakeholder and community meetings as part of this process!